Saturday, February 16, 2008

St. Baldrick's



I'm shaving my head, and I'll be 9 months pregnant at the time! Why? As part of St. Baldrick's, a charity event where volunteers shave their heads in solidarity with children who have lost their hair during their battle with cancer. Cancer is a leading killer of children. Our nephew, Nathan Gentry, died a month after his seventh birthday in July 2007, a victim of Neuroblastoma.

Our friend, Elisabeth Villavicencio, MD, PH.D., is a pediatric oncologist, and says this about funding for research of childhood cancers.

Sadly, it is harder than ever to get research funding. Most NIH grants are unfunded. Companies that develop drugs typically focus their research on common adult cancers, since they need to be able to recoup their research and development costs through drug sales. Since pediatric cancer is rare, there will never be profit in developing drugs for this small but very important group of patients. Thus, private funding is critical to finding cures for childhood cancer.

You can help save children's lives by pledging me to shave my head as part of a St. Baldrick's event on March 16. You can pledge online, by phone, or download a form to mail. Just click here.

The above picture is my before picture. I promise an after picture, as well.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

waou! I think you will look excellent with the shaved head!
you are very confident and artistic and the look will definitely suit you.

How about trying jeans, leather jacket and biker boots, or a long skirt and boots to your new look?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Doctor David said...

What a wonderful gesture! The current status of funding for childhood cancer is abysmal (I, too, am a pediatric oncologist, so I know firsthand). The more we can raise awareness, the more likely it is that someone with enough weight to make a difference will step forward and do what needs to be done to help make sure no one ever dies of childhood cancer again!

4:02 AM  
Blogger shannon said...

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Please accept my contribution to honor him. I must say I agree with anonymous in that you will look great bald. Cute belly photo, by the way. Can't wait to meet the little person! Best wishes to you and Josh always!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Josh Gentry said...

Thank you so much, Shannon, and everyone else who has pledged. Every bit helps save lives.

I'm happy to report that as of right now, the day before the shaving, Jae is the top fund raiser for the Albuquerque event! Help make sure she stays #1. There's still time.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jae!

I'm with the St. Baldrick's Foundation and I love this photo of you! When you post your "after" photo I would like to talk to you about possibly using them in our publication materials (a headline story on our web site or a story for a newsletter...something like that). Let me know what you think!
Keep your head warm!

Allyson Simonton
allyson@stbaldricks.org

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi,
m a student from india may b i dnt hv money to give bt all my prayers alws wid ur nephew,,

hw is he now??

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home